Madras University, located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, is one of the oldest and most prestigious state universities in India. It was established in 1857 by the Legislative Council of India and is the second oldest university in the country after Calcutta University. Madras University is also known for its vibrant campus life. The university has a variety of cultural and extracurricular activities, such as sports, arts, and music clubs. This allows students to pursue their interests and hobbies outside of the classroom.
The university plays a significant role in providing education in Tamil Nadu, particularly in the districts of Chennai, Thiruvallur, and Kancheepuram. Through its numerous affiliated institutions, Madras University offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in diverse fields, including arts, science, commerce, engineering, medicine, and law.
Madras University is committed to offering education through both regular and distance learning modes. This approach allows students to choose the learning method that best suits their needs and circumstances. The university’s dedication to providing flexible learning opportunities has further contributed to its popularity and success in the field of education.
Madras University is ranked among the top 100 universities in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). Madras University offers a wide range of courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. It has a distinguished alumni list, including Nobel laureates, politicians, scientists, and artists. Madras University has a vibrant campus life with a variety of cultural and extracurricular activities.
Madras University is a vital part of the educational landscape in South India. It has a rich history and has contributed significantly to the region’s intellectual and cultural development. The university continues to provide high-quality education to students from all walks of life and is committed to promoting academic excellence and social responsibility.
Madras University Admission 2023 Latest News and Updates:
Here, Students can find the most recent updates and notifications about Madras University Admission 2023.
Madras University PhD Admission July 2023 Notification:
- Madras University has announced its Ph.D. admission process for the 2023 batch. Prospective candidates are invited to apply for the program through the University’s official website by submitting an online application form. Following this, applicants must send a hard copy of the completed application form to the respective University Department, Affiliated College, or Research Institution before the deadline of 15 July 2023.
- To be eligible for the admission process, candidates must have a minimum of a Post Graduation Degree in the 10+2+3+2 (or) 11+1+3+2 pattern. The university will conduct an entrance exam to assess the student’s eligibility. Only those who secure a minimum of 25 marks out of 50 in the entrance examination (both written and oral) will be eligible for admission.
- If you are interested in applying for the Madras University Ph.D. program, please follow the simple steps for filling out the online application form provided.
Madras University Admission 2023 Last Date:
- The last date for admission to Madras University for the academic year 2023-24 has already passed. The last date to apply for admission to PG/PG Diploma/Diploma/Certificate courses and B.Sc. (Blended) Science Programme was June 30, 2023.
- Also, the last date for Madras University Ph.D. admission for the 2023 batch is 15 July 2023.
- However, Madras University still has admissions open for its distance learning programs. The last date to apply for distance learning programs is October 20, 2023.
Madras University Key Highlights:
Some of the key highlights of the Madras University are:
|University Official Name||Madras University (मद्रास विश्वविद्यालय)|
|Short Name of the University||MU|
|Established||5th September 1857|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Chancellor||Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|University Type||State University|
|Courses offered||UG, PG, MPhil, PhD|
|Notable alumni||A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, CV Raman, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, Srinivasa Ramanujan, S.R. Nathan, M. Karunanidhi, J. Jayalalithaa|
|Academics||Offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in various disciplines, including Arts, Science, Commerce, Management, and more.|
|NAAC Accreditation||Accredited with an ‘A’ grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).|
|Facilities||Provides various facilities for students, including libraries, sports grounds, hostels, and more.|
|International Collaborations||Collaborates with foreign universities for research and student exchange programs.|
|Affiliated by||UGC, AICTE, PCI, CCIM, BCI|
|Accommodation Facility||For both (Boys & Girls)|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance/Merit Based|
|Fees Payment||Cash/DD/Debit Card/Credit Card|
|Official Website Link||https://www.unom.ac.in/|
Madras University Admission Process 2023:
The University of Madras is inviting applications for its various academic programs, including Postgraduate (PG), Postgraduate Diploma (P.G. Diploma), Diploma, and Certificate programs. Additionally, the university is offering the B.Sc. (Blended) Science Program in collaboration with the University of Melbourne for the academic year 2023-2024.
For those interested in applying, please note that the application cost is set at Rs. 354/-. This fee includes the program application cost of Rs. 300 along with an 18% Goods and Services Tax (GST) amounting to Rs. 54/-. All applicants are required to make this payment online through the State Bank of India (SBI Collect) platform. Madras University conducts its admission process through both merit and entrance-based methods. Students can apply for admission to the university either online or offline mode.
Steps For Filling Madras University Online Application Form 2023:
For the online application process, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of Madras University: To start the online application process, go to the university’s official website, which is https://www.unom.ac.in/.
- Check the “Announcement Section” for the admission link: Look for the latest announcements on the website and click on the admission link when it is available.
- Register with necessary details: To proceed with the application, you need to register by providing some basic information. A valid email ID is compulsory for registration.
- Log in and fill out the online application form: Once you have successfully registered, log in to your account to access the online application form. Complete the application form by providing details about your preferred course and your academic qualifications.
- Upload required documents: During the application process, you will be required to upload certain documents. These may include your passport-sized photograph, signature, caste certificate (for SC/ST students), 10th and 12th-grade mark sheets, and any other documents as specified by the university.
- Pay the admission fees: After filling out the application form and uploading the necessary documents, you will be directed to make the admission fee payment. This can be done using a debit or credit card.
- Save a printed copy of the admission form: It is important to keep a printed copy of the filled application form for future reference.
Steps For Filling Madras University Offline Application Form 2023:
For the offline application process, adhere to the following steps:
- Visit Madras University branches: If you prefer the offline mode of application, you need to visit one of the university’s designated branches located in Chennai, Thiruvallur, or Kancheepuram.
- Obtain the application form: At the university branch, you can obtain the application form by paying the required fees.
- Fill out the offline application form: Properly fill out the application form with all the necessary details as requested.
- Submit the application form: Once you have completed the form, submit it along with any required documents to the university’s admission head or the designated authority.
- After successfully submitting your admission form, the university will notify you via email or SMS regarding the acceptance of your application.
Reservations For Madras University Admission 2023:
The University of Madras follows the reservation policy of the Government of Tamil Nadu for admissions to its undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The reservation policy is as follows:
- Scheduled Castes (SCs): 15%
- Scheduled Tribes (STs): 7.5%
- Most Backward Classes (MBCs): 26.5%
- Differently-abled person: 5%
- Ex-servicemen: 3%
- Sportspersons: 2%
- Other Backward Classes (OBCs): 10%
- Economically Weaker Sections (EWS): 10%
- The reservation policy is applicable to all UG and PG courses offered by the University of Madras, except for professional courses such as MBA and MCA, which are admitted through a separate entrance exam.
- To avail of the reservation benefit, candidates must belong to the reserved category and must produce a valid caste certificate or other relevant documents. The caste certificate must be issued by the competent authority of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- To apply for admission under the reservation policy, candidates must select the appropriate reservation category in the online application form. The University will verify the reservation category of the candidates during the admission process.
Important Note: Physically challenged students enrolled in P.G. Degree courses at the University Departments are eligible for a full fee concession, which covers all fees, excluding the refundable Caution Deposit and student safety insurance.
Madras University Scholarships 2023:
The University Departments at Madras University offer a range of scholarships in addition to those available for SC/ST, BC/MBC, and National Merit scholars. These scholarships are as follows:
- Srimathi Sivakama Radhakrishnan Scholarship (C&UD) – Exclusive to the Department of Philosophy.
- Rotary Club of Madras City Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – Open to all departments.
- Professor R. Selvam Endowment Scholarship – Reserved for the Department of Medical Bio-Chemistry.
- A.M.M. Foundation Endowment Scholarship – Designed for the Department of Sanskrit.
- The Lady Willingdon Peace Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – For M.A. Degree programs in VII-A and VII-E.
- The Sir T. Muttuswami Ayyar Memorial Endowment Scholarship is reserved for the Department of Legal Studies.
- Selvi.V. Saraswathi Memorial Endowment Scholarship – For the Department of Endocrinology.
- Dasari Narayana Rao Endowment Scholarship – Intended for the Department of Telugu.
- The Sir T. Muttuswami Ayyar Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) is applicable to the Departments of Geology & Applied Geology, Physics, and Legal Studies.
- The Srimathi Padmasani Bai Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – For the Department of Indian Music.
- The K.N. Ayyaayyar Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – Available to the Department of Physical & Physical Chemistry and Maths.
- Prof. S. Govindasamy Endowment Scholarship – Pertains to the Department of Bio-Chemistry & Medical Bio-Chemistry.
- Thiruvalluvar Endowment Scholarship (Ph.D. UD).
- Dr. Kalaignar M. Karunanithi Endowment Scholarship (Ph.D. UD).
- The Gokhale Endowment Scholarship (UD&C) – Pertains to the Department of Economics.
- Sambuvarayar Endowment Scholarship – Open to all departments.
- Aringnar Anna Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – Applicable to all departments.
- Maharaja Sri Ganga Singhji Endowment Scholarship – For the Departments of Anatomy, Genetics, Endocrinology, Physiology, Medical Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology & Environmental Toxicology.
- The Lions International Endowment Scholarship (C&UD) – Applicable to all departments in Humanities and Science.
- Lady K. Srinivasa Ayyangar Endowment Scholarship – Intended for the Department of Sanskrit.
- Shri.A. Nageswara Rao Endowment Scholarship – For the Department of Indian Music.
- Thiru.A.R. Ramasawami Endowment Scholarship – Allocated to the Department of Commerce.
- The N.C. Vasanthakokilam Endowment Scholarship – Pertains to the Department of Indian Music.
- Balaiga Family Endowment Scholarship – Specific to the Department of Sociology.
- Barswell Law Endowment Scholarship – Applicable to the Department of Legal Studies.
- Thiru.K.Gopalan Memorial Endowment Scholarship – Applicable to the Department of Organic Chemistry.
- Shriman T.A.K. Venkatachariar Endowment Scholarship – Designed for the Department of Sanskrit.
- The Marsh Scholarship (C & UD) – Rotates between the Departments of Chemistry and Physics.
- Arinagnar Anna (Ph.D. UD).
- Periyar Endowment Scholarship (Ph.D. UD).
- Prof. G. Jayaraman Scholarship – Exclusive to the Department of Biomedical Genetics.
- IBP Endowment Scholarship – Allocated to the Department of Ambedkar Centre for Economics Studies.
- Dr. A.L. Mudaliar Silver Jubilee Endowment Scholarships – Open to all departments.
- Prof. L. Krishnasamy Endowment Scholarship – Specific to the Department of Mathematics.
- The R.Tatachariyar Endowment Scholarship – Applicable to the Department of Kannada & Indian Music.
Madras University offers several medals and prizes to rank holders in various examinations, outstanding essay writers, and thesis contributors. These accolades are provided through various endowments established within the university.
Madras University Free Education Scheme (MUFES):
- Under this scheme, one student with the poorest economic background (parental annual income less than Rs. 2,00,000) among the admitted students for each P.G. course is granted a complete fee waiver, excluding caution deposit and insurance fees, based on merit and economic status.
- Candidates from SAARC countries are eligible for a 40 percent tuition fee concession.
- Sri Lankan Tamil students and Tibetan refugees are charged tuition and other course fees at par with Indian students for PG/M.Phil programs under the CBCS regulations. Other foreign students, NRI, and PIO cardholders must pay the revised fees prescribed for foreign students.
Important Documents For Madras University Admission 2023:
- Mark sheets and certificates of classes 10th and 12th
- Transfer certificate (TC)
- Conduct certificate
- Migration certificate (if applicable)
- Entrance exam scorecard (if applicable)
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Income certificate (if applicable)
Madras University Admission Fee 2023:
The University of Madras application fee is Rs. 354, covering a program cost of Rs. 300 and an 18% GST of Rs. 54. Payment must be made online through the State Bank of India (SBI Collect) platform by all applicants.
Important Dates For Madras University Admission 2023:
Here are the important dates for Madras University Admission 2023:
|Courses Name||Online Registration For Application Form Starts From||Last Date of Online Registration For Online Application|
|PG Courses||19 April 2023||30 June 2023|
|PG Diploma, Diploma, and Certificate Courses||19 April 2023||30 June 2023|
|B.Sc. Blended Science Program||5 May 2023||16 June 2023|
Note: Please note that these are the important dates for the 2023 admission session. The dates may vary for future admission sessions. You can always check the Madras University website for the latest updates.
Madras University Courses List 2023 With Eligibility:
Madras University offers a variety of courses, some of which admit students based on their qualifying examination scores, while others require them to take an entrance test. For a comprehensive list of all the courses available at Madras University and their respective admission criteria, please refer to the table below.
Madras University Qualifying Examinations Based Courses List 2023:
Madras University offers numerous courses for which admission is granted based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examinations. Below are the courses that follow this admission process.
|B.Sc.||B.Sc., (Blended) Science Programme Offered Jointly With the University of Melbourne||3 Years||Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC/Std. 12) Passed with the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and/or Biology.|
|MA Programmes||Applied Sanskrit||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Bharathanatyam||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Anthropology||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Arabic||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Arabic or any graduate with a diploma in Arabic|
|Indian Philosophy||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Islamic Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Comparative Religion and Philosophy SaivaSiddhanta||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Jaina Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Kannada||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Kannada or any graduate with a diploma in Kannada|
|Econometrics||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Mathematics/Statistics as a subject|
|Lifelong Learning||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Sociology||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Sanskrit||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Sanskrit or any graduate with a diploma in Sanskrit|
|Buddhism||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Comparative Religion and Philosophy with Specialization in Christian Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|French||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in French or any graduate with a diploma in French|
|Folk Music||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Financial Economics||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Mathematics/Economics as a subject|
|Hindi||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Hindi or any graduate with a diploma in Hindi|
|Ancient History & Archaeology||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Human Resource Management||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Public Affairs||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Urdu||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Urdu or any graduate with a diploma in Urdu|
|Public Administration (TM)||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Women’s Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Economics||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Rhythmology||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Indian Music||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Comparative Religion and Philosophy with Specialization in Saiva Siddhanta||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Christian Scriptures||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Defence & Strategic Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Divyaprabandham||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Vaishnavism||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Malayalam||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Malayalam or any graduate with a diploma in Malayalam|
|Telugu||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Telugu or any graduate with a diploma in Telugu|
|M.L. Communication Law and Legal Order||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Law|
|Diploma Programmes||Arabic||1 year||10th pass|
|Cyber Crime & Information Security||1 year||10+2 or equivalent|
|Travel and Tourism Management||1 year|
|Internal Audit||1 year|
|Abhinaya & Nattuvangam||1 year|
|Jaina Temple Management||1 year|
|Manuscriptology (PT)||1 year|
|Buddhist Studies||1 year|
|Teaching Methodology||1 year|
|Teaching Methodology in Music||1 year|
|Yoga (PT)||1 year|
|M.Sc. Programs||Photonics & Biophotonics||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Electronics, Chemistry, or equivalent|
|Yoga||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|M.Lib.I.Sc. Program||Library & Information Science||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|P.G. Diploma Programmes||Ambedkar Thoughts||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Ethics and Biotechnology||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology or related fields|
|Ethics & Human Resource Management||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Parent Counseling (for School Principals and Teachers)||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Peace & Communal Harmony||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Extension and Development Administration||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Banking and Finance||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Biblical Languages and Interpretation||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Clinical Embryology||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences/Medical Sciences|
|Counselling Psychology||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related fields|
|Linguistics||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Manuscriptology and Editing||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Molecular Cell Biology & Stem Cell Technology||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences/Biotechnology/Medical Sciences|
|Christian Spirituality & Counseling||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Digital Library Management||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Functional Hindi and Translation(Two years – Part-time)||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Folkloristic and Mass Media||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Organizational Development and Management of Change||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Saiva Siddhanta||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Immunotechnology||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology/Microbiology/Biochemistry or related fields|
|Inscription and Culture||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Stem Cell Technology & Tissue Engineering||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences/Biotechnology/Medical Sciences|
|Taxonomy of Fungi||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Botany or Microbiology|
|Yoga Therapy(PT)||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Taxonomy of Algae||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in Botany or Microbiology|
|Yogic Education (Two Shift Programme)||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Technical writing||1 year||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Certificate Programmes||Blogging||6 months||10th pass or equivalent|
|Buddhist Studies||6 months|
|Christian Scriptures and Interpretation||6 months|
|Hospitality Management||6 months|
|Counseling Psychology||6 months|
|TV News Reading Comparing||6 months|
|Webpage Design||6 months|
|Women’s Studies||6 months|
|NGO Management||6 months|
|Pre-Primary Education||6 months|
|Functional English and Public Speaking||6 months|
|Skin Care Beauty Therapy||6 months|
Madras University Admission Test and Qualifying Examination-Based Courses List 2023:
Madras University offers numerous courses for which admission is determined through a combination of entrance tests and marks obtained in the qualifying examinations. Among the array of courses available, the university follows a selection process that takes into account both the performance in the entrance test and the marks attained in the qualifying exams. The following are some of the popular courses where this admission approach is applied:
|M.Phil. Programs||Geology, Psychology, French, Political Science, Anthropology, Hindi, Physics, Applied Economics, Analytical Chemistry, Ancient History & Archaeology, Historical Studies, Public Administration, Applied Geology, Commerce, Physical Education and Yoga, Computer Science, Malayalam, Telugu (F.T. & P.T.), Economics, Continuing Education Management, Jaina Studies, Tamil Literature & Culture, Communication, Kannada, Human Resource, Network System & Information Technology, Tamil Studies, Christian Studies, Islamic Studies, Saiva Siddhanta, Defence and Strategic Studies, Public Affairs, Vaishnavism, Development Economics, Philosophy, Women’s Studies, Applied Sanskrit, Management, Sanskrit, Arabic, Urdu, Indian Music (F.T. & P.T.), Scientific Instrumentation, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Mathematics, International Relations Studies, English, Education, Endocrinology, South & Southeast Asian, Botany, Theoretical Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Inorganic Chemistry, Counseling Psychology||Varies (Generally 1-2 years)||Master’s degree in the relevant field|
|MA Programmes||English, Historical Studies, Journalism & Communication, Tamil Literature and Culture, Tamil Studies||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field|
|M.Ed Programme||Education||2 years||B.Ed degree with a minimum of 55% marks|
|M.Com Programme||International Business and Finance, Business Data Science||2 years||Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or relevant field with a minimum of 55% marks|
|M.Tech Programme||Geoinformatics, Nano Science, and Nano Technology||2 years||B.Tech/BE degree in the relevant field with a minimum of 55% marks|
|M.Sc. Programs||Actuarial Science, Physics (Theoretical Physics), Advanced Biochemistry, Political Science, Analytical Chemistry, Public Administration, Applied Geography, Polymer Chemistry, Biomedical Genetics, Statistics, Energy & Material Science, Biophysics, Yoga, Biotechnology, Zoology (Special), Botany, Nano Science, and Nano Technology, Counselling Psychology, Medical Microbiology (3 Years), Criminology & Criminal Justice Science, Anatomy (3 Years), Cyber Forensic & Information Security, Physiology (3 Years), Computer Science, Geoinformatics – Private Study, Masters in Journalism – Online Media, Applied Geology, HRD Psychology, Organic Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Medical Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Physics (Nuclear Physics), International Relations||2 years (3 years for Medical Microbiology, Anatomy, and Physiology)||Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field with a minimum of 55% marks|
|Ph.D.||Various||3-5 Years||Master’s Degree in Relevant Field|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q1: When will Madras University admissions for 2023 open?
Ans: Madras University admissions for 2023 are already open for UG and PG Distance learning programs. Admissions for other programs will open in the coming weeks.
Q2: How can I apply for admission to Madras University?
Ans: You can apply for admission to Madras University online or offline. To apply online, visit the university’s website and fill out the online application form. To apply offline, you can download the application form from the website and submit it to the university’s admission office.
Q3: What are the eligibility criteria for admission to Madras University?
Ans: The eligibility criteria for admission to Madras University vary depending on the program you are applying for. However, the general eligibility criteria for UG admission is that you must have passed Class 12 from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50%. For PG admission, you must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
Q4: What is the selection process for admission to Madras University?
Ans: The selection process for admission to Madras University is either merit-based or entrance-based. For merit-based admissions, your selection will be based on your marks in the qualifying examination. For entrance-based admissions, you will have to appear for an entrance exam conducted by the university or a national-level entrance exam.
Q5: What are the documents required for admission to Madras University?
Ans: The documents required for admission to Madras University vary depending on the program you are applying for. However, the general documents required are:
- Class 10 and 12 mark sheets
- Bachelor’s degree mark sheet (if applicable)
- Entrance exam scorecard (if applicable)
- Transfer certificate (if applicable)
- Migration certificate (if applicable)
- Community certificate (if applicable)
Q6: What are the fees for admission to Madras University?
Ans: The fees for admission to Madras University vary depending on the program you are applying for and your category. However, the approximate fees for UG admission are INR 10,000 to INR 20,000 per year. For PG admission, the approximate fees is INR 20,000 to INR 30,000 per year.
Q7: What are the scholarships available for students of Madras University?
Ans: Madras University offers a variety of scholarships to its students. Some of the scholarships available are:
- Merit scholarships
- Need-based scholarships
- Scholarships for students from socially disadvantaged groups
- Scholarships for students with disabilities
- Scholarships for students pursuing specific programs
Q8: How can I check the status of my application?
Ans: You can check your application status on the university’s admission portal or by contacting the admissions office.
Q9: How do I obtain the Prospectus for admission?
Ans: You can obtain the prospectus-cum-application form online through the official website of the University.
Q10: What is the application fee for admission?
Ans: The cost of the application is Rs. 354 (inclusive of 18% GST – Rs. 54). You must make the payment online through State Bank Collect [SB COLLECT].
Q11: Can I transfer my application from one department to another after submission?
Ans: No, applications cannot be transferred from one department to another under any circumstances.
Q12: Are foreign nationals, including NRIs, required to appear for the entrance examination?
Ans: Foreign nationals, including NRIs, are exempted from appearing in the entrance examination.
Q13: Are there any supernumerary seats available for Foreign Nationals and NRIs?
Ans: Yes, 15 percent of supernumerary seats are available in all the PG Programmes (regular courses only) for Foreign Nationals, including NRIs. Additionally, two supernumerary seats are available for students from Jammu & Kashmir in all the departments.
Q14: Do SC/ST/SCA students from other states receive fee reimbursements?
Ans: No, SC/ST/SCA students from other states are not eligible for fee reimbursements from the Government of Tamil Nadu, and they must pay the fees in full and later seek refunds from their respective State Governments’ scholarships.
Q15: How should I submit the application and supporting documents?
Ans: Applications submitted online should be printed and the scanned soft copy emailed to respective departments. Also, send the hard copy directly to the Head of the concerned Department with self-attested proof of payment and necessary certificates.
Q16: What should I do with the remaining mark statements after the results are published?
Ans: Duly self-attested scanned copies of the remaining mark statements should be sent to the concerned department by email and also by post within 7 days after the publication of the results of the final semester for U.G and P.G examinations of the University of Madras.
Q17: Do I need an eligibility certificate if I’ve passed my qualifying examination from other Universities?
Ans: Yes, candidates who have passed their qualifying examination from other Universities must obtain an eligibility certificate from the University of Madras either online or in person and submit it during the admission.
Q18: How will admissions be based on P.G. Programmes for the academic year 2023-2024?
Ans: Admissions to P.G. Programmes will be based on the marks obtained in the basic qualifying examination (100 percent). In certain cases with multiple eligible streams, entrance examinations (50 percent) may also be considered.
Q19: What is the reservation policy for admissions?
Ans: Admissions are based on the reservation policy prescribed by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
Q20: Can candidates from other states (except SC/ST) be considered for selection under General Turn?
Ans: Yes, candidates from other states (except SC/ST) will be considered for selection under the General Turn category.
Q21: How should differently-abled persons provide proof of evidence?
Ans: Differently, abled persons should forward a self-attested copy of the certificate issued by the Department of Rehabilitation, Government of Tamil Nadu, through the concerned department’s email and by post.
Q22: Can I apply for another PG Programme or an M.Phil. Program if I’ve completed a Postgraduate Programme at any of the University Departments?
Ans: Yes, you can apply for another PG Programme or M.Phil. Program if you meet certain conditions and submit a recommendation letter from the Head of the Department where you completed your previous Postgraduate Programme.
Q23: What happens if the University decides not to conduct a Degree Programme?
Ans: The University of Madras reserves the right not to conduct a Degree Programme if circumstances warrant it, without assigning any reasons.
Q24: Where can I fill out the admission application?
Ans: You should fill out the admission application online on the University’s website at http://www.unom.ac.in, and the payment for the application cost should be made through ONLINE ONLY by State Bank Collect [SB COLLECT].
Q25: What happens if I do not forward the receipt of payment for the application cost?
Ans: If you do not forward the receipt of payment for the application cost, your application will be summarily rejected.
Q26: In case of disputes regarding admission, where should they be resolved?
Ans: Disputes regarding admission to P.G./P.G. Diploma/Diploma/Certificate Programmes should be resolved only in the High Court of Madras, Chennai.
Q27: Are there any concessions for SC/ST/SCA candidates of Tamil Nadu?
Ans: SC/ST/SCA candidates of Tamil Nadu are eligible to avail of one application free of cost by emailing a copy of the community certificate along with other testimonials to the respective department.
Q28: How can I know the date for the entrance examination for certain programs?
Ans: The date for the entrance examination will be published on the University’s website, and students can download their hall tickets from the website using their Mobile No (10 digits) as the user ID and Date of birth as the password.
Q29: What is the process for provisional admission and payment of fees?
Ans: The provisional admission list will be published on the University website. The first list of provisionally selected candidates must pay the fees within 7 days from the date of publication, and payment should be made through ONLINE ONLY by State Bank Collect [SB COLLECT].
Q30: When should provisionally admitted candidates visit the Department and submit original certificates for verification?
Ans: Provisionally admitted candidates should visit the Department ONLY at the time of commencement of classes and submit all original certificates at HOD’s office for verification before attending the classes.
Q31: What happens if wrong information is found during verification?
Ans: If wrong information is found at the time of verification, you will lose your admission, and the fees paid will not be refunded. Legal action may also be taken.
I hope you get all the valuable information about the Madras University Application Form, including details on course eligibility, fees, and essential dates. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask by using the comment box provided below. Your feedback and queries are welcome!